Movie Title: Friday the 13th (1980)
Date Released: May 9th, 1980
Date Seen: June 20th, 2012
Part 1 – Spoiler Free Quickie Review
Isn’t this just pointless? We all know what it is – a crappy yet was supposedly scary for it’s time movie. We all love and adore it even though when we watch it nowadays we cringe at some of the death scenes. And again – we still love it.
Part 2 – In Depth Spoiler Ridden Review
Let me just say – these are the DUMBEST teenagers in ANY movie EVER. EVER. EVERRRRRRRRRRR. Let’s list all the things that you shouldn’t do that they did: (or just somethings that were wrong with the movie)
1. Have sex. Come on, you should know better…. oh wait, this is one of the first movies that ever happens. I guess I’ll let it slide.
2. Split up – You mean, even though we can’t find any of our friends and found a bloody axe in one of their beds, it’s a bad idea to split up and leave the single female girl alone sleeping? Yep. Pure genius there.
3. The back and forth – we have to leave! no we have to stay! we have to leave! no lets wait for mr. christy!
4. Kevin Bacon in a speedo. We all know it’s wrong.
5. Hiding in a room/cabin with one exit. *sigh*
6. Can we just talk about, the last chick to die (I couldn’t care to learn their names), and when she tries to barricade herself in the cabin? I was dying watching it. Ok – yes – good job tying the rope like that to keep the door that opens towards the outside closed. But now, why are you throwing all those heavy objects against it? If you DO need an easy escape, you’re screwed now. And does she even bother with the windows – no. She does close the curtain though, because, you know, that’s totally going to save her. And actually, she even failed at closing the curtain all the way.
7. For being able to kill a number of able-bodied teenagers, Jasons mom was surprisingly weak when it came to that skinny girl and her frying pan, when she clearly had the edge on dumb girl (who was again, locked, in a room with only one exit). But, since the girl didn’t follow the golden double tap (or smash it till it’s completely squished in the case of the frying-pan-weapon) move is why we had the glorious scene where she manages to cut off evil ladies head.
8. You’ve just killed the bad guy – so what’s CLEARLY the best way to get away? The boat in the lake! Not the car that the crazy lady was driving just 20 minutes ago, that’s right over the hill… nope, the boat is clearly the best option.
9. Haha – skinny girl got a shot in her butt at the end. That’s stupid.
While stupid and cheestastic, because we are now used to such better movies, it’s still enjoyable and a good laugh. It’s also one of the old original horrors that has spawned countless sequels, parodies, villains, plots, etc. You can’t help but appreciate it.